It’s the first thing you will need to make a sentence. So, what is it?
What is a Subject?
A subject is:
- a thing
- the person or people
- an idea
- a place
The subject is the person or thing in the sentence that is DOING something or BEING something.
Here are some examples of the subject in a sentence:
- The cat is sleeping.
- a thing (the cat) does something (sleeps)
- The woman is typing.
- a person (the woman) does something (types)
- The kids play.
- the people (the kids) do something (play).
- The coffee is hot.
- The thing (the coffee) does something (it’s hot).
- New York is wonderful.
- The place (New York) is being something (wonderful).
- Capitalism is complicated.
- The idea (capitalism) is being something (complicated).
Whether you are just learning to speak English or are learning more English grammar, I hope that this post helped you to understand the idea of the subject.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments!
Thanks for choosing this website for learning,